Sunday 25 November 2012

BEAUTIFUL DISASTER by Jamie McGuire

Abby Abernathy is a girl who's come to college to leave her past behind.  She's determined to walk the line, be a top student and do it right.  Enter Travis Maddox, by day the campus' infamous heartthrob who loves the girls and leaves them just as fast, and by night, the top bare fist fighter in the campus illegal  floating fight ring.  Travis's lean, ripped, tattoo covered body and rugged good looks make this bad boy hard for Maggie to resist, but resist she does. Intrigued by Maggie's resistance to his charms, Travis sets up a bet to manipulate Maggie into his life and his apartment for one month.  Their relationship starts out platonic enough but slowly turns into more, despite the denials on both sides. Will either Travis or Maggie be willing to change enough to make their relationship work?  Can Travis and Maggie ever be honest with each other and confess how they really feel or will the gap between them prove to vast to conquer?

I loved the excitement, the banter and the sexual tension between Maggie and Travis, as well as Maggie's strength of character.  What concerned me was Travis' aggression and possessiveness.  I don't like condoning that kind emotional instability toward women, even in a novel.  I would have been more comfortable had Travis' reactions been toned down a little and I don't think the story would have suffered if it was.  With that said, I'll get down off the soap box and openly admit that I loved everything else about the book.  It was an exciting, fun, humorous and very sexy read.  I will definitely be picking up Walking Disaster, the same story but from Travis's perspective, Jamie McGuire's next book, to be released in April 2013.  One more thing, just so I'm sure I'm being clear, this book is still a grest story and one I definitely recommend.   4 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment