Sunday 18 November 2012

GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn

This is a story of a marriage made in Hell.  Our tale opens on fifth anniversary of Nick and Amy, to all a seemingly perfect couple. It is also the day Amy disappears. Being presented in two separate views the story continues, first from Nick in the present with flashbacks of memory, then second, as a diary narrative from Amy covering the previous seven years including the day she disappears. Each of them revealing entirely different version of their life together.  With whom does the truth lie? There are lies, secrets and omissions through the book so pay close attention.  It is not often that I find myself surprised by the twists or turns a plot takes but to my delight Gillian Flynn has succeeded in doing just that with this book.  Along with marriage and family Flynn takes a hard look at the media and the role they can play in public opinion through manipulation and misdirection of the news for  the sole purpose of sensationalism.
Whodunits are not my usual cup of tea but Gillian Flynn's prose is vivid, dark, fascinating and at times difficult to read.  It kept me riveted to the edge of my seat until I had devoured the last page. Read It!
4.5 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment